Rowheath Pavilion was opened by the Cadbury family in July 1924 as a changing facility and clubhouse for the many acres of sports playing fields, the bowling greens, the fishing lake and lido. The Pavilion also hosted elaborate balls and dinners, and the whole area was designed for the benefit of the Cadbury workers and their families. It was a place to meet, to relax, to stay healthy and to enjoy some free time together, at the heart of a lively community.
Following the introduction, in the 1970’s, of more stringent health and safety regulations regarding outdoor swimming pools sadly the lido was closed. Over the years the Pavilion building itself fell into disrepair and for a while it was actually closed down. In 1985 it was re-opened by a local a management group and latterly the running of the building was adopted by Pavilion Christian Community, the church who meet here every Sunday. Since 2003 the Pavilion has enjoyed a new lease of life, seeing a community cafe and playground added to the main Terrace Room, the gathering room and the bar. The many and varied dance, arts, craft, children’s groups, sports and fishing facilities are available throughout the week and the building is, once again, a thriving cultural and social venue, hosting weddings, parties, concerts, pantomimes and craft events all year.